Thursday, August 7, 2014

SHOES SENT FROM HEAVEN

A few weeks prior to my Dad passing, he would call himself "Mr. Melancholy". Out of the blue one night when I came home from work he called me into his bedroom and told me that he found this website called Zulily and he wanted me to pick out a few pairs of shoes and some dresses. Well this one night turned into a couple of nights here and there and before I knew it, I thought he bought me enough shoes and dresses to wear a new dress with a new pair of shoes for each day of the week. I kept telling him, "Dad...I really appreciate all this but you really don't have to buy me all this stuff." He would always reply back with "I know I don't have to..but I want to. It reminds me of when you were a little girl and used to open up presents and I loved to see the smile on your face and how happy you were...you do the same thing now and it makes me feel so good." He was such a giver and was always so generous...that is one of the things I loved most about him.
 
 Within about week or two, shipments of shoes and dresses started to arrive at our house here and there. My Dad was the cutest because whenever a shipment would arrive he couldn't wait for me to try them on and model them for him. It brought such a smile to his face and we would both just sit back and laugh.

Two days after my Dad passed, the last thing on my mind was shoes, dresses or anything else for that matter. All I thought about was my Dad and how sudden his death was and how much I missed him. The doorbell rang. Josh answered it. He stepped back into our house holding a package. I knew exactly what it was...another pair of shoes. I was hesitant to open them, because I knew I would get really emotional and my emotions were written all over my face at that moment. Josh came over and handed the box to me and held onto me for a few minutes. "Just think of these as a little gift from your Dad in Heaven. I think you should take them into his room and open them as if he was there." I took the box from him and went into my Dad's room to open them up by myself. I needed this moment alone. As I unwrapped the paper and opened up the box, my eyes immediately filled with water and I started crying. The door opened and Josh walked in to comfort me. " I just wish my Dad was here to see me open them and try them on!" I said. Josh said, "He is here honey...he can see...he can hear. Will you do me a favor? What I want you to do is try them on and model them like he was right here in this room."  I looked at him with a half cracked smile and thought he was silly. "I'm serious!" he said. "Please...do it for me. I think it will make you feel better." So I did. For him. For my sweet Husband whom I love so very much. I put the left heel on and then the right one. I looked over at Josh feeling pretty silly, then got to my feet and started walking around my Dad's room. I walked back and forth a few times in my new heels. Josh was right, my tears faded quickly away. I felt happy and peaceful. A few more shipments have arrived since then and every time I open up a new package, I get so excited. Now every time I wear a pair of shoes or a dress that my Dad bought me I think of him. I think of how much I miss him. I think of how much I love him. I think of how very blessed I am to have a Dad like him. 







dress: Down East Basics // sunnies: TJ Maxx // Shoes: Zulily // gold bracelet: Ettika // watch: Target
I would love to see some of your outfit posts too! Link up below!
post signature

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At August 7, 2014 at 8:51 AM , Blogger My Crazy Deliciousness said...

ohhhh LOVE the shoes and dress!

 
At August 7, 2014 at 9:30 AM , Blogger Diary of a Brown Eyed Girl said...

Thanks Randi!!! Hope all is well with you. Olivia is getting SO big. She is such a cutie!

 
At August 7, 2014 at 1:01 PM , Blogger Rachel Rinderknecht said...

I love your dress! You look so gorgeous! I also started following you on Bloglovin :)
Rachel
Blonde with a Chanse

 
At August 7, 2014 at 1:27 PM , Blogger Diary of a Brown Eyed Girl said...

Aww thank you Rachel! You are so sweet! Yay. I just followed you back too :)

 
At August 10, 2014 at 8:23 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love the color of your dress!
www.styleophile.ie

 
At August 11, 2014 at 9:14 AM , Blogger Diary of a Brown Eyed Girl said...

Thank you Lesley!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and comment on my blog!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home