Wednesday, July 16, 2014

BRAZILIAN CHICKEN STROGANOFF.

I don't know if you knew, but my Husband served a full time mission in El Salvador, Brazil for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He lived there for 2 years spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ to thousands of people. He said he came home a different person. His mission changed him in so many wonderful ways and taught him so much.  He came home feeling very grateful for what he had. In Brazil, most of the families (which are fairly large) live in tiny homes (about the size of my living room and kitchen combined) with no air conditioning and live mostly off of rice and beans. Josh tells me that there is one thing he will never forget and will always be ingrained in his mind forever. "These people has so little, but they were the happiest people I had ever met in my entire life. I will never forget the experiences I had there and all the wonderful people that I met. My mission was definitely an experience of a lifetime! There are many times I think back on my mission and even talk to some of the people I met and I still get teary eyed til this day." I love listening to Josh tell me stories about his mission. Stories about his experiences, trials, and miracles that he witnessed time and time again. One of my favorite things is listening to him speak fluent Portuguese. Boy does it get my blood pumping! Let me tell you! He learned the language in less than two months before going on his mission (Praise God!)



I don't know if you knew either, but Josh is quite the chef. It seems like he can take anything, mix it all together and wallah it tastes amazing! Another great part from his mission was all the different foods that he got to try and learn how to make. Last night when I got home from work, he was making Brazilian Chicken Stroganoff (oh my yummm!). I made it about a month ago to surprise him, but after tasting his last night..his was so much better! This stroganoff is a delicious variation of the traditional stroganoff made here in the United States but it tastes so much better in my opinion. See the recipe below:



Brazilian Chicken Stroganoff 

2 lbs beef or 2 lbs chicken fillets, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 onion, chopped, divided
salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 lb cultivated white mushroom, sliced
2 -3 tablespoons ketchup
1 1/2 tablespoons mild mustard, i would use dijon
1/2 cup sour cream

Directions:
Put the meat/chicken into a bowl with garlic, half the onion, salt, nutmeg, oregano and wine.
Heat the oil and saute the remaining onion and mushrooms for a few minutes 
Add the meat/chicken and marinade to the pan and cook.
Add the ketchup and mustard.
If it looks a bit dry, add a few tablespoons of water and cook a little longer.
When the meat is cooked, add the sour cream and reheat gently-DO NOT BOIL.
Serve with steamed white rice.

post signature

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and comment on my blog!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home