Friday, August 9, 2013

FOSTER CARE TRAINING CLASS #2


Last night we attended our second class to become licensed foster parents. During class, we watched a 20 minute video featuring a few of the foster children that are in the system.They expressed their feelings, what they have been through and what they are looking for in foster parents. My heart aches. I feel like all I want to do is buy a house with 50+ bedrooms just so I can fill the rooms with all these amazing kids.

Fact: there are 14,608 children in care as of June 30th, including 95 babies and small children living in group home and crisis shelters. In March 2010, there were 10,207 foster children in Arizona. That's 40% in 3 years. You can read more about the foster care crisis HERE

After class last night and this morning I am flooded with so many different emotions. I am overwhelmed, sad, upset, excited, curious, anxious, determined, and confused. I am overwhelmed with all the information that we have been learning. All of the information is so in depth and very helpful, but there is so much. I feel a lot of sadness. Sadness for the parents who have mistreated their children and have had them physically removed from them and sadness and heartache towards these children. These children who have been abused sexually, physically, and emotionally day after day after day. These children who are broken, confused, angry, and feel like there is no hope for them. I am upset. Upset that these parents would even think for one second of hurting or mistreating their own child or children. I am completely and utterly baffled by it. It makes my stomach turn. I am excited. Excited that this great opportunity was presented to us. Excited for all of the helpful information, tips and tricks that we are learning. Excited for all of these wonderful children that will come into our home. Excited to love, nurture and care for these little ones. Excited to make a difference in their lives and show them that there are people good people out there that do love and care, that they are more than enough and that they have a divine purpose and they can shine. I am curious. Curious how many children will come through our home. Curious what age we will get (we requested ages 2-6). Curious what they will look like. Curious how they will act and adapt in our home and towards us. I am anxious. Anxious for us to be done with our classes. Anxious about waiting for that first call when they say they have a child for us. Anxious to offer everything and more that Josh and I can to these children. I am determined. Determined to make a difference in these children's lives. Determined to show them that even though their parents have mistreated them, that there are still so many other amazing people in this world. Determined to offer everything we can for them. Determined to not ever ever give up. We won't give up. We are in this for the long run and want to do this now and want to continue this work even after we have our own children. I am confused. Confused as to how someone could every mistreat a child. Confused as to why they would have children if they can't take care of them and mistreat them and then continue to have more children. It doesn't make any sense to me. 

I know that all of these feelings are normal and most parents who are looking to become foster parents probably go through the exact same thing. We are so excited for this wonderful opportunity that God has given us and we are so excited to see and experience all of it. Yes..there will be many ups & downs, but we will get through all of them together. We are going to remove any of our fear with faith and trust in the power of God to guide us every single step of the way.

I hope that you will stick around as we continue our journey to becoming foster parents!

-KIMBERLY-

Labels: , , ,