Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Kendra Thorton's Christmas Traditions & a WINNER


Today, I have  a wonderful guest blogger! I am so excited and feel so honored that she contacted me. Let me introduce you to Kendra Thornton. Kendra is a famous travel expert who you may have seen on shows like The Nate Show, The Tyra Banks Show, and Fine Living Network.  She regularly appears on ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox News and the CW sharing travel tips and deals to millions of people every year. She has traveled the world since 3 months of age and has visited 28 countries and 6 different continents. 

If you would like to know more about Kendra you can 
follow her via Twitter or check out her website.

I don't know about you, but I am getting so excited for Christmas next week. I took the entire week off. Much deserved if I must say so myself! Today we are going to talk about Christmas family traditions....specifically some family traditions from the Thorton family!

Take it away Kendra!!!!!!



Christmas with the Thornton Family

You don’t need to look at a calendar to know that it’s Christmas time again. People have more pep in their steps and the music has a magical ring. Everyone is abuzz putting  presents under the Christmas tree. Chicago is always a winter wonderland, packed with fun and excitement. In my family, there are a few traditions that we cannot live without. 

Since we are Norwegian, these customs are centered on tons of traditional foods and drinks. Each year, the family gathers to make lefse and kringla. On Christmas Eve, everyone ‘shoots’ a raw oyster down the throat all at once. We all have a good laugh after that! Once the oyster shot is done, sit down to a hearty bowl of oyster stew. Then we have a family toast with a shot of Akvavit. If you don’t know, that’s Scandinavian liquor that burns its way down to the stomach. No toast would be complete is we didn't shout ‘Skol!’ which is the Norwegian version of ‘Cheers!’ My kids have traditions they love of their own too! They enjoy to go ice-skating over the holidays and they always help decorate the tree in our big bay window, bake the huge Norwegian feast, and put out cookies for Santa Claus.

 We also make reindeer dust to sprinkle outside the kid’s windows so the reindeer have an easier time finding out house on Christmas Eve. The kids have a blast doing this. Once we are done, we curl up with a mug of hot cocoa and then it is off to bed. My last job required that I do a lot of traveling. I have been all around the world and I can say with authority that there is no place like home for the holidays. Christmas wouldn't be the same without my lovely family and the gorgeous Chicago snow. There was an article on Gogobot that talked about white holidays versus warm ones. Since I have been in a few warm places over the holiday season, I know that it just does not compare to a white Christmas. I could not give up the snow, evergreens and ice skates for sand, palm trees and roller-blades. 

What is your hometown like at Christmastime?? I grew up enjoying a cold Christmas season, and that is what works for the Thornton family. This year, we are blessed to be able to stay home and welcome all of our family back to our dinner table. Everyone came for Thanksgiving and we had a wonderful time. Have a beautiful holiday season filled with wonderful food, many laughs and good people! Seasons Greetings from the Thornton Family!

Thank you so much for having me Kimberly!
.......................................................................................................................................................

WINNER OF THE SKIP N' WHISTLE TEE IS JAMIE HODGERSON!
CONGRATS JAMIE! EMAIL ME YOUR ADDRESS AND I WILL GET 
YOUR TEE SHIPPED OUT ASAP! BOSTONKSOX@GMAIL.COM




post signature

Labels: , , , , ,