Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Lovin' Yourself


I want you guys to take a minute to think about something. Do you love yourself?
What's your answer? Yes? No? Some days yes and some days no?

How much we love ourselves really determines how much love we are able to give towards others.

If we don’t love ourselves in a healthy, balanced way, then we won’t be able to spread the love of God to those all around us because we can’t give away something we don’t have already to begin with.

When I met Josh and we became friends, I really took the time to figure out ME first.
I knew I had to be secure and love myself and God first before I could love anyone else.
What a huge difference that made. Now I am not saying that I don't have bad days where
I struggle with who I am...because I do. All the time. I am imperfect. We are all imperfect.
But I know how my Heavenly Father sees me. I know that He has singled me out and chosen me to be His child. He is pleased with how He made me and His love surrounds me all the time.
 I am the apple of His eye. I take so much comfort in this.

Now when I talk about loving yourself I am not talking about a selfish, 
self-centered kind of love for that is arrogant and puffed up. 

There is a balanced way to develop a godly appreciation
 for who you are and the talents & abilities that God has given you.

I think one of the biggest problems we have today is how we feel about ourselves. It seems many people have a broken record playing in their head that keeps repeating, 
“What’s wrong with me? What’s wrong with me? What’s wrong with me?”

We compare ourselves to other people (totally guilty of this) 
and wonder why we can’t look or act like they do. 

Satan wants us to feel bad about ourselves. 
He tries to mess with our thinking so we are always wondering why something is wrong with us. 
And many times we make the mistake of getting mad at ourselves because of it.

The Bible says that those who are in Christ have been made righteous.  


 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; 
that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
-2 Corinthians 5:21

This means that in Christ, we are as we ought to be. 
God created us. He approves and accepts us by His love and goodness.

Gods love is one of the most important truths we need to know. Loving God and then yourself in a healthy, balanced way is the first step toward fulfilling our destiny and becoming a vessel of God’s love so we can spread His love to others. 

Lately I have been pondering these questions......

How much joy do you have? 

Do you enjoy spending time with yourself? 

Do you spend enough time with God?


Meditating on this scripture lately also:


"According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will"
-Ephesians 1:4-5


Remember that God loves you unconditionally. 
He created your temperament, your talents, and all your other traits.
You are beautifully and wonderfully made in the image of a loving Heavenly Father.

We all have specific areas we can grow in and things to 
work on and that is quite alright. We are imperfect but God is perfect.


Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At April 23, 2013 at 9:36 AM , Blogger Jackie said...

I also wrote a post today about the importance of loving oneself! I agree with you completely. You can check it out at http://www.jaclara.blogspot.com/2013/04/love-yourself-first.html :)

 
At April 23, 2013 at 5:07 PM , Blogger Erica Ashley said...

Thank you so much for this post! It was exactly what I needed to hear today :) It is an important reminder to remember the love God has for you even when you find it hard to love yourself, thanks for the inspiration and the word of God :)

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and comment on my blog!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home