Wednesday, October 3, 2012

My Story: Part 3


Haven't read part 1 & 2?


So here I am...now living in beautiful sunny Arizona.
I spent the first couple of weeks just relaxing and having fun with some friends.

Then it was on to finding a full time job and a church to join.

I had interview after interview and wasn't getting any calls back.

I was also "church shopping" trying to find a church to call home.
I remember being on my knees every night asking and begging God to help me find
a great church where I would feel welcome and a church I could call home.

I seriously attended possibly every Christian church in the valley
(well not literally but attended quite a few)
and none of them really felt right to me. Something was missing.

I got a call back from a job I applied to on Craigslist.
They were located in Scottsdale and I was in Phoenix.
The next day I went into the interview and in walked this tall (6'5") handsome fella.
I was trying to focus on the interview but it was just so hard because he was so good lookin'!

He mentioned that the job was only starting off part
time and would possibly turn into a  full time position.

Again...I felt something telling me to just go for it. So I did.
They hired me on the spot and my start date was a week later.

While working at Unruly Studios (a custom web design company)
I got hired on to do all the sales for the company.

Josh (the handsome interviewer)
 and I became really good friends
over the next few months.

There was just something about this guy that I couldn't put my finger on!

Well friendship quickly turned into us really liking
 one another so we started hanging out
outside of work and had a great time together.

One day when we were out driving around doing sales, we got to talking about God.

He asked me what church I was going to.

Josh: "So what church are you going to?"
Me: "I am not going to any particular church at the moment. Just this small
church close by. I really haven't found one that I like"
Josh: "Well why don't you come to my church with my family this Sunday?"
Me: "Which church do you go to?"
Josh: "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints"
Me: " The what? I have never heard of that church before?"
Josh: "Haha...otherwise know as he Mormon church.

(I remember laughing a little bit at him)

Me: "You are not Mormon! Are you seriously?"

Josh: "Yes I am. I have been my whole life.
 I'll tell you what. I will come to your church if you come to my church?"

I told Josh I had to really think about it and I would let him know asap. 

I went home and told my roomate and she freaked out!
"What! You have been hanging out with a Mormon all this time!
"FYI....He is NOT allowed in my house"
"Do you know what they believe!!"

I had read and heard a lot of things about the church.
Throughout the work week Josh and I spent alot of time talking on the phone together.
My whole misconception was that they believed and worshipped Joseph Smith.
Not true. I remember him send me a picture of Jesus Christ pictured above his bed and
a Christ statue that he had in his room. He also told me that the name of the church was
"The Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints" not the "Mormon" church.

In my heart I just felt a really strong feeling that I just needed to find out for myself.

That night I prayed and talked with my Heavenly Father about the situation
but I never once got a feeling like I shouldn't attend his church. I more less felt at peace.

Sunday soon came and I met up with Josh to go to his church.

From the moment that I stepped into his church, people
 from all angles were coming up to greet me and welcome me.
I felt this rush go over my body and felt the spirit stronger than I had ever felt it ever before.
I couldn't get over what I was feeling and it lasted the entire service.
It felt like a really warm blanket was being wrapped around me and at that moment I knew
Heavenly Father was saying "Kimberly this is your home...this is where you need to be"

I was baptized just a few weeks later.

You cannot judge a book by its cover. You cannot judge someone before you actually know them.
You cannot know anything until you find out for yourself.

I love what the Church teaches and really admire how much they center it around families and Jesus Christ.

I never thought I could have the faith that I have now.
I never thought I could love my Savior as much as I do now.
I never thought I could love my Heavenly Father as much as I do now.

I love the Bible and the Book of Mormon and read both everyday.
It's amazing how well they work together!

Some people think that because we read the Book of Mormon, we don't read the Bible. That's just not true. It's like saying that we don't eat oranges because we eat apples. Both are good fruit! The Book of Mormon is not a replacement for the Bible. In fact, because the Book of Mormon and the Bible both contain the gospel of Jesus Christ as it was revealed to different civilizations, studying them together can clarify some concepts that are difficult to understand.

In the Bible, Jesus told His apostles, "Other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them
also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd" ( John 10:16 ). Christ visited these "other sheep" in the Americas after He was resurrected, teaching the same message to the Nephites that He taught to the people of Israel. The Book of Mormon makes it clear that Jesus Christ's message and His atonement are not for one group of people at one time. They are for everyone, everywhere, from the beginning of the earth to the end. Having the Book of Mormon as another testament of Jesus Christ reminds us that He is mindful of every one of us.

I have had SO many prayers answered through the Bible and also the Book of Mormon. Every day when I read from the Book of Mormon I feel the spirit so strongly, I feel peace, I feel pure joy. I never thought in a million years that I would say I am a Mormon. But I am and I am the happiest I have ever been!

So you are probably saying to yourself "Well what about Josh?"

Josh proposed and I were happily married just 7 months later!!



I really hope you guys enjoyed reading my conversion story.

If you would like to learn more about my faith go HERE

Please feel free to email me with any questions you might have.
I would love to answer them!!

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At October 3, 2012 at 1:56 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

I love your conversion story. I can feel your strong spirit all along the internet waves. So, what happened to Josh?

 
At October 3, 2012 at 10:21 PM , Blogger Jillian @ Hi! It's Jilly said...

Aah! I love your story! It is so neat! I'm glad you felt at home! I love the church! It's always interesting to me to hear stories like yours, because I've been a member all my life, so the church has just always been a part of my life.

 
At October 5, 2012 at 5:43 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I really enjoyed reading your story! It's way to easy to judge someone/thing before you have walked in their shoes; I'm glad you used that experience to find a church that feels like "home" for you though! You have so much passion..It's truly amazing. I can't wait to read more of your posts!
Thank you so much for becoming a follower of my blog!

James 4:8
vintage-verses.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and comment on my blog!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home