Monday, October 1, 2012

I am a Mormon Monday

Happy Monday!
Hope your weekend was great!

I wanted to share a blogging project that I felt inspired to create for the world to see.

For those of you who read my blog, you may or may not know that I am a
 LDS (aka Mormon).

I wasn't raised in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

I actually grew up Catholic and found out about the church 3 years ago.

I will dedicate another post to sharing my conversion story with you.

Since joining the church in December of 2009 I have heard and read
A LOT of misconceptions regarding the church and about things we do and don't do,
and what we believe and don't believe.

I think a lot of people really don't
have a true knowledge and understanding of what we believe.

I sure didn't at first and it was because of what I read and what I heard.

I never thought I would be able to have such a close relationship with my Heavenly Father.
I am so grateful for this.

I look back sometimes and see where
I was and see where I am today and it amazes me.
God is so good!

So with that being said I came up with
"I am a Mormon Monday"

This is to show the world that
we are normal,  that we are Christian and
that we do believe in Jesus Christ.
(The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints)

Every Monday I will be featuring a new face.
They will be sharing with you what they believe
and how they live their faith.
  
Today I would love to introduce to you


 Instagram: emily_denton

About Me 

On April 2nd 2011, I was in Utah with my family for general conference and my mom wanted to go look at wedding dresses.  She begged me.  I was not having it.  I was 19 years old, not dating anyone or planning on dating anyone anytime soon.  On April 4th, I met this really cute ginger.  On April 26th, my birthday, we got engaged.  You read right, 22 days.  19 years old.  I still don't believe it!  On September 10th, 2011, we were sealed in the Mesa Arizona temple.  So now I am 20, and a wife of over a year, and that ginger just gets hotter and hotter everyday.  We have a little morkie named Bella who is our world.  Yes, we know, she is a dog, but she is practically human!  My husband, if he ever finishes school, will someday be a dentist and we will have lots of money!  But until then, we are poor.  I have three different jobs, and I honestly don't know which is my favorite!  I nanny an 11 year old smarty pants who is better at bidding on ebay than I am, I assistant teach choir at my old high school, and I get to dress up as a disney princess (for a princess party company) and make animal balloons and face paint.  I mean come on, does life get better than that?  I am the oldest of four adopted children.  I have a 17 year old varsity football player brother, who has already had multiple concussions and knee surgery, but won't stop playing.  Oh and he is a total ladies man.  Then there are the two 8 year olds from Russia.  The boy is a genius and can beat anyone at chess, and the little girl is secretly my favorite.  She is a mini me for sure.  But cuter.  And my parents, well they just rock.  I love my family, and I have my own family now.  My husband is the most amazing guy on the planet, so selfless and sweet, and patient (he has to be to deal with me!)  I really don't know what to say about myself, I love talking about my husband more.  I online shop way too much.  I sing all the time. I am deathly afraid of roaches (I stayed locked up in the bedroom for 6 hours until my husband came home to kill one.)  I hate doing the dishes.  I have yet to rid myself of my nail biting habit.  Fish sticks dipped in vinegar is my absolute favorite food.  And I have been a Mormon my entire life.  I grew up in the church, made a ton of mistakes, dated a lot of idiots, made a lot more mistakes, did my duty as the oldest child to give my parents the experience of a lifetime, raising a teenager.  I have always known the church was true, even thought I did a lot of stupid things.  It was always in the back of my head.  It wasn't until college, when I could really make my own decisions and have my own consequences that I realized how true it was and how it needed to be the center of my life.  I would not be where I am today without the church. 


What is hope and what do you hope for? 

To me, hope is a lot like faith.  Faith is knowing the sun will rise the next morning.  Hope is having faith and believing in the things you were taught your whole life.  You hope that you can build a family on earth.  You hope that you can spend eternity with your family and husband, because that's your greatest desire. 
What I hope for is happiness.  I don't care in what form, I just want to be happy.  I want to spend eternity with my husband, and to build a family and watch them grow.  That to me would make me happiest.  


How I live my faith

Yikes... I think this section is more for my own personal growth then for your reading enjoyment!  It makes me think of how much more I could be doing.  One of the biggest ways that I actually pride myself in, is dressing modestly.  I teach high school, what better place to be an example.  I try to talk to my girls and build their confidence so they don't feel like they need to show off their bodies.  I show them, in my own dress, how they can dress modestly without looking like you are from the 1800's!  I not only try to live my faith to the best of my ability, but to talk to others about it!  I could talk all day about the church and all the blessings and happiness it brings me.  Yes I have my hard days, and sometimes weeks, but everything that I have learned from the church, helps me get through it. 



Are you a Mormon Blogger?
Want to be apart of this project?

Please email me @
bostonksox@gmail.com

Right now I am booked through
March 2013 but I still need more of you
so email me if you are interested!

18 Comments:

At October 1, 2012 at 6:57 AM , Blogger SEL said...

I'm just like you. I love my family, my parents rock, and I love talking about my husband. That's what happens when you've been in love for 13 years. ;)

Love your blog! Newest follower!

xo
SEL
growinglaughingandlovinginlife.blogspot.com

 
At October 1, 2012 at 7:06 AM , Blogger Diary of a Brown Eyed Girl said...

Thanks for stopping by Joy!

 
At October 1, 2012 at 7:32 AM , Blogger emily said...

Yay it looks great!!! Thanks for featuring me!! :)

http://polkadotsandpencilskirts.blogspot.com/

 
At October 1, 2012 at 7:55 AM , Blogger Diary of a Brown Eyed Girl said...

I think so too! You are so welcome Emily!
Hope you have a great day today!

 
At October 1, 2012 at 9:47 AM , Blogger Brittany LeSueur said...

This is such a great column!!!! It is sad all the negative talk about our faith, but there really are so many misunderstandings!!!! THis girl is simply adorable!

 
At October 1, 2012 at 11:59 AM , Blogger House of Tong said...

I love LOVE love LOVE your Mormon Mondays!! xoxo

 
At October 1, 2012 at 12:19 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

You are such an inspiration! Truly! Look at you! Barely a member for three years and you are on a mission (basically) spreading the word about the faith and dispelling misconceptions. I'd be happy to help if you have an opening.

 
At October 1, 2012 at 12:29 PM , Blogger Diary of a Brown Eyed Girl said...

Thank you Brittany! I agree. It really is too bad, but I just feel even more amped up to tell people and show them just how we really truly are and what we really believe!

 
At October 1, 2012 at 12:35 PM , Blogger Diary of a Brown Eyed Girl said...

Thank you so much! Would love to get as many girls as possible.
Spread the word! Would love to possibly feature this on Clothed Much...that would be great!

 
At October 1, 2012 at 12:37 PM , Blogger Diary of a Brown Eyed Girl said...

You seriously just made my day! Thank you for your sweet comments!
I am emailing you right now to give you all the details. I am booked out until 2013 right now but still need more girls. I want to keep this ongoing as much as I can and feature a new girl every Monday.

 
At October 1, 2012 at 4:33 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Love this idea! Just emailed you!

 
At October 1, 2012 at 7:26 PM , Blogger Katie said...

I am not a Mormon, but my very best friend in the whole wide world IS a Mormon. I find that while we do have theological differences, many of our "core" beliefs are in line with each other's, and I am consistently impressed by the value the LDS church places on the family unit, among other things. I know how much Alicia loves me, too, because she gifted me a Book of Mormon a few years ago, along with one of the most heartfelt letters I've ever been given. I have read bits and pieces, but more than anything, it just means so much to me that she cared enough to share her faith with her best friend. I still have both the letter, and the Book.

Thanks for following, Kimberly -- I'm off to check out more of your sweet little piece of the web!

 
At October 1, 2012 at 9:47 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Just emailed you. This is an amazing idea that can bring so much good.

 
At October 2, 2012 at 7:05 AM , Blogger Diary of a Brown Eyed Girl said...

Thank you so much Kim! Going to check out your email now!

 
At October 2, 2012 at 7:05 AM , Blogger Diary of a Brown Eyed Girl said...

Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting!

 
At October 2, 2012 at 7:22 AM , Blogger Diary of a Brown Eyed Girl said...

Thank you so much for this Katie and thank you for taking the time to stop by and comment. Your comment really touches my heart. I think its so wonderful that your best friend did that for you. She seems like a real genuine true friend and those types of friends are hard to come by. I love the Bible and the Book of Mormon and read both everyday. It's amazing how well they work together!
Some people think that because we read the Book of Mormon, we don't read the Bible. That's just not true. It's like saying that we don't eat oranges because we eat apples. Both are good fruit! The Book of Mormon is not a replacement for the Bible. In fact, because the Book of Mormon and the Bible both contain the gospel of Jesus Christ as it was revealed to different civilizations, studying them together can clarify some concepts that are difficult to understand. And in the Bible, Jesus told His apostles, "Other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them
also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd" ( John 10:16 ). Christ visited these "other sheep" in the Americas after He was resurrected, teaching the same message to the Nephites that He taught to the people of Israel. The Book of Mormon makes it clear that Jesus Christ's message and His atonement are not for one group of people at one time. They are for everyone, everywhere, from the beginning of the earth to the end. Having the Book of Mormon as another testament of Jesus Christ reminds us that He is mindful of every one of us.
I have had prayers answered through the Bible and also the Book of Mormon. Every day when I read from the Book of Mormon I feel the spirit so strongly, I feel peace, I feel pure joy. I never thought in a million years that I would say I am a Mormon. But I am and I am the happiest I have ever been!

I wonder if your best friend would be interested in participating in this project?? I would love to feature her!

 
At October 2, 2012 at 7:24 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thx sooo much :)
Gladly follow you. Kisses

 
At October 2, 2012 at 10:48 AM , Blogger Stephanie said...

Very interesting post. Growing up in Texas, I only knew one person who was a Mormon. My high school had almost 3,000 students and she was the only Mormon (along with her siblings, of course). I never knew much about the religion but I knew that she was one of the sweetest, kindest people I'd ever met and her family was very kind and supportive (she did plays with me in drama so I met/saw them at many of our shows). I love that you're introducing us to others who share your faith and helping many of us understand a religion that seems to be clouded with misconceptions. I was raised Catholic as well so I'm interested to hear your story of how you came to be Mormon.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and comment on my blog!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home