Now that we are in the peak summer months, you have likely been spending quite a bit of time outside, especially in your own backyard. If you find yourself getting a little bored with the decor you currently have, it may be time for a little update. This doesn’t have to mean anything big or expensive - simply a splash of color to liven up your outdoor space.
Here are 20 great ways you can easily add some color and enjoy spending time outside that much more.
- Throw Pillows and Ottomans: Don’t underestimate the power of adding a bright new set of pillows or change the ottomans on your current outdoor furniture.
- Colorful Furniture: Consider buying new outdoor furniture or painting your current furniture a great new color.
- Patio Hardware: As mentioned in this article, you can add a little color by focusing on the patio hardware rather than any big item. Powder coat deck railings or door hardware with little hassle.
- Flowers: Of course, the plants in your yard can make for an easy and natural way to add color. You can still add some flowers in late summer such as alyssum, morning glory, salvia, or cleome as they love the warm weather.
- Colorful Yard Decorations: Whether you have a great new windvane or a fun-loving gnome, your yard decorations can certainly add to the look of your backyard.
- Planters: Mix up the colors and styles of the planters in your yard. As long as there is another one like it somewhere close it will all look like it ties together.
- Outdoor Lamps: Did you know they make lamps for the outside too? If you have a space where it will be protected from weather, add an outdoor lamp with a great lampshade.
- Linens and Placemats: Use your patio table layout to add some sassy patterns for your outdoor dining linens and placemats.
- Mealtime Colors: Colorful plates, bowls, cups and utensils are great for when you eat outside - aka every day in the summer.
- Colorful Light Fixtures: Exchange your current light fixture or simply paint your current ones happy new colors.
- Doors: Whether it is your back door, your front door or the garage door, you can add a little color to the outside of your home by giving the door a new coat of paint. Think bright!
- Birdhouse or Bird Feeders: A great, festive birdhouse or a brightly colored bird feeder will not only add color themselves, but they will draw birds to your hard that may bring their own unique color combinations.
- Wreaths: Placed on either a door or even on the wall, a wreath can add a new level of color and festivity to your outdoor space.
- Patio Umbrella: Adding a great umbrella not only gives you the benefit of shade, but it is an easy way to add some color without going too crazy.
- Hang Art: A great painting or framed poster does not need to stay inside the house. Change it up by adding a piece of art to your patio wall.
- Draperies: Giving you a way to block the sun, feel more enclosed, or to give your outdoor space more of a resort feel, drapery can do a lot to add some character to the outside of your house.
- Outdoor Rugs: Adding an outdoor rug to your patio area not only feels cozy, but also brightens up boring cement or stone.
- Arbor: Consider adding an arbor for a great and colorful entrance to your yard that will return each year.
- Potting Bench: Store all your gardening necessities in a brightly colored potting bench and use it for extra counter space for social events hosted in your backyard.
- Wall Planter: Purchase some flat backed planters or pots and mount them to the wall. These may already come in fun colors or you can paint them yourself.
Especially if you are spending the majority of your evenings and weekends enjoying the lovely summer weather in your own yard, you should enjoy it and be proud of its appearance. When it comes to a bright pop of color, a little goes a long way, so choose just a couple of these suggestions and you will be pleased with how easily it improves your home’s outdoor space!