Thursday, May 2, 2013

Day #2: Betcha Didn't Know

                                                                                    


I play the violin. I started playing the violin when I was just 6 years old. 

I really enjoyed playing it up until I was about 14 or so, then I lost interest.

I was more focused on other things now......

Friends. Boys. School. Shopping. Sports. Watching MTV music videos. 

Everyday after school I would come home, get a snack and watch the video countdowns!

When we moved from California to Oregon, we made
 a pile of things that we were going to donate to Goodwill. 

Well...my violin was one of them. 

Here I am 14 years later wishing I had saved that violin.

We always do that don't we! We get rid of things and then later down the road we say
"I should have never gotten rid of __________!"


I told my Husband that I wanted to start learning how to play the violin again.

One Saturday when we both had the day off (which NEVER happens btw), we were out running errands when Josh took a little detour.

Me: "Where are we going honey?"

Josh: "Hey don't you worry about it okay?!? You will see"

About 10 minutes later we pull into a large parking lot and he tells me to close my eyes.

We drove around the parking lot until he put the car in park.

Josh: "Okay open your eyes!"

When I opened my eyes I looked out the window
 and saw that we were sitting in front of a used music store.

Josh: "I knew that you wanted to start playing the violin again,
 so I thought I would surprise you and take you to get a new one"

I was so happy. I started jumping up and down in the car. Literally.


I have started to get myself familiar with the strings and how to hold it and play it again. 

I have been doing a lot of researching online and YouTube has become my best friend!
It's always helpful to watch someone else doing it to be able to learn how to do it yourself.

I'm a little rusty for right now, but I know the
 more I practice I will eventually get the hang of it again.

Practice makes perfect!!

One of my favorite violinist's is Máiréad Nesbitt from Celtic Woman.
She is amazingly talented with the violin and has a beautiful singing voice.




Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At May 2, 2013 at 7:36 AM , Blogger BREI said...

I used to come home everyday and watch the countdown too! Found you from Jenni's blog.

 
At May 2, 2013 at 9:52 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

Once you get all brushed up, you can do special musical numbers at church. What a lovely talent that is...

 
At May 2, 2013 at 11:21 AM , Blogger Corinne said...

Yay! I am sure once you get back into it you will find it easy! What grade did you get to? I had keyboard lessons for 10 years when I was a kid but quit before I went to uni. I wish I had asked for piano lessons instead though!

Corinne x
www.skinnedcartree.com

 
At May 2, 2013 at 1:41 PM , Blogger Megs said...

Oh, that is so sweet! Such a thoughtful gift!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and comment on my blog!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home