Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Psalm 23



The Book of Psalms is one of the most beautiful and meaningful books of the Bible.
 
King David, who wrote this Psalm, grew up and worked as a shepherd, so he knew a lot about sheep and shepherding. He loved the metaphor of seeing God, or the Lord, as a shepherd. The shepherd’s job is to care for his flock, making sure they are safe, nourished, calm and happy at all times. Sheep are vulnerable to danger from wolves and other predators because they cannot run very fast, and they are not always smart enough to avoid danger. To care for them correctly and safely, sheep require a shepherd to take them to the fertile areas to graze, protect them from predators and other hazards, and keep them together so they don’t stray from the group. This is the job of the shepherd.  God does this for us, if we submit to His will.
 
             The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
 
 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.




If this prayer seems helpful for you, use it often and learn to appreciate that when you truly embrace the concept of God as your shepherd and guide, you will be protected and helped in ways you cannot imagine.




Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At December 5, 2012 at 8:42 AM , Blogger Alba - Petit Sweet Couture said...

cute pic!

I want invite you to a great giveaway in my blog!
You can win your favorite dress from InlovewithFashion!

XOXO

 
At December 5, 2012 at 8:49 AM , Blogger Rachael said...

Thanks so much for stopping by. Beautiful scripture. Following!

 
At December 5, 2012 at 8:58 AM , Blogger Ragan said...

beautiful words, just what i needed to hear this morning. thank you for that!

 
At December 5, 2012 at 10:22 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

What a lovely reminder this morning. Thank you. :)

 
At December 7, 2012 at 5:07 PM , Anonymous Psalm23Jewelry.com said...

Psalm 23 is the most recognized chapter in the Bible, and millions have memorized this as a way to comfort and provide personal hope.
The Psalm 23 Bracelet was created to help people use a tangible way to memorize this most beloved chapter.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and comment on my blog!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home