Thursday, January 26, 2012

Be Still.



One of my favorite hymns is “Be Still My Soul”......

It's a beautiful hymn that has so much meaning and brings peace and joy to my heart whenever I am listening or singing it. It makes me realize that will all the hustle and bustle of this fast paced world, that we should take time for ourselves to slow down from life and “Be Still”. It's very important to take life day by day as it comes and take every situation step by step. 
 
I love President Uchtdorf's talk on “Of Things That Matter The Most”. It goes right along with the words in this hymn. Be still, slow down and steady lives course and think of things that really matter the most in this life.
 
He explained that if life and its rushed pace and many stresses have made it difficult for you to feel like rejoicing, then perhaps now is a good time to refocus on what matters most. He also gave an example of an airplane when it encounters turbulence. The common cause of turbulence is a sudden change in air movement causing the plane to pitch, yaw and roll. So what do they do when they encounter turbulence?? Slow down or increase speed? We might think that it would make sense to speed up to get through it faster. But that may be the wrong thing to do. By reducing speed and slowing down there is an optimum turbulence penetration speed that will minimize the negative effects of turbulence. This example can also apply to speed bumps on a road.

I am always on the go and feel like I have to-do lists in my head that are miles long. But, I know in my heart that none of those things really matter. It's not a life or death situation if I can't clean and organize our house, finish building our entertainment center, do laundry, go grocery shopping, etc.

As we turn to our Heavenly Father and seek His wisdom regarding the things that matter most, we learn over and over again the importance of four key relationships: with our God, with our families, with our fellowman, and with ourselves. As we evaluate our own lives with a willing mind, we will see where we have drifted from the more excellent way. The eyes of our understanding will be opened, and we will recognize what needs to be done to purify our heart and refocus our life.

I feel happy and at peace when I am able to Be Still and spend quiet time with myself and Heavenly Father and be able to talk to Him and tell him all my desires, hurts, frustrations, and worries.

I know that I will always have trials and situations that I might not understand, but I know that the Lord is faithful, merciful and wants the very best for me. I can take rest in Heavenly Father and know that everything will work out no matter what the situation is, and it may not be the way that I want it or in the time frame that I want it to happen.......but I know that if it's Heavenly Father's will and in His timing, then I wouldn't want it any other way :)




Be Still, My Soul

Be still, my soul; the Lord is on thy side;
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain;
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul; thy best, thy heavenly, Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.
Be still, my soul; thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as He has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence, let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul; the waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while He dwelt below.
Be still, my soul, though dearest friends depart
And all is darkened in the vale of tears;
Then shalt thou better know His love, His heart,
Who comes to soothe thy sorrows and thy fears.
Be still, my soul; thy Jesus can repay
From His own fullness all He takes away.
Be still, my soul; the hour is hastening on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul; when change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

5 Comments:

At January 26, 2012 at 8:45 AM , Blogger Elisha said...

wheres the "love" reaction!!?? :) <3

 
At January 26, 2012 at 12:46 PM , Blogger Ly said...

This is beautiful!

http://www.lyzhang.com

 
At January 26, 2012 at 4:21 PM , Blogger Allison said...

thanks for this wonderful reminder to Be Still.

 
At January 30, 2012 at 2:57 PM , Blogger Diary of a Brown Eyed Girl said...

Thank you Ly!

 
At January 30, 2012 at 2:57 PM , Blogger Diary of a Brown Eyed Girl said...

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment Allison!
Hope your having a wonderful day!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and comment on my blog!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home